Dear Klamath Tribal Members and Employees:
As a proactive measure, the Tribal Council and General Managers would like to bring heightened awareness to the potential for confrontations due to anxiety and unrest related to the current election.
If confronted by protesters/demonstrators, paramilitary groups or individuals while at work or in the community, please follow the instructions listed below:
- If at any-time personnel safety/security is at risk, call 911
- Please do not engage in the argument, it will only make it worse
- Respectfully-walk away, go into the tribal building or closest safe place and stay there
· Contact available security who will be expected to ask the individuals to leave and informed if they do not leave property, 911 will be called and they will be trespassed
· If anyone feels threatened, contact security for escorts to your vehicles
· Again do not engage in arguments, it will likely escalate the situation and not help
· Refer all questions about the Klamath Tribes Politics to the Klamath Tribes Chairman-Don Gentry
7.6 TRIBAL REPRESENTATION
No employee will assume the role of policy spokesman for Tribal Government unless directed to do so in writing by the Tribal Chairman or the Tribal Council. An employee who is asked by an outside agency or organization to appear as a representative of the Tribes must obtain prior clearance from the General Manager. Violation of this policy may be cause for disciplinary action up to and including dismissal.
I have included a below link to the Oregon State Statute regarding unlawful paramilitary activity, contact information for Johanna Costa, Hate Crimes and Bias Incidents Coordinator, and a link to the Stand Against Hate website that provides information on the law addressing hate crimes and the Hotline to report incidents.
If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.
Donald C. Gentry, Chairman
The Klamath Tribes
Cell: (541) 892-1433
Unlawful paramilitary activity – https://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/166.660
Hate Crimes and Bias Incidents Response Coordinator
Office of the Attorney General
Oregon Department of Justice
1162 Court St. NE, Salem, OR 97301-4096
1-844-924-BIAS (non-emergency reporting hotline) M-F 9am-5pm, Dial 711 for Oregon Relay