We have been looking at questions lately. Today we will continue with the “why” question.
The way to ask a “why” question is a little different from other questions.
You add the word “waq” to the beginning of the sentence. You then place the subject of the sentence next. Then you place the word: “giok” after the subject of the question. The example will be my demonstration sentence.
We will start off with : ni yayna sle-a. I see the mountain.
waq ni giok yayna sle-a? Why do I see the mountain? This sounds like I am speaking to myself. That is possible. But we also need to adjust the subject of the question to fit the circumstances. If I am asking someone else, the pronoun will probably become “i” the pronoun for “you.” so,
waq i giok yayna sle-a? Why do you see the mountain?
Let’s try a few. Translate these questions.
1. waq i giok lilhanks pan? ___________________________?
2. waq i giok witem hemkanga? _________________________?
3. waq sa giok gembli? ___________________________?
4. waq i giok yulalona gena? ___________________________?
5. waq nad giok yawqal sle-a? __________________________?